Dealing with water damage can be a pretty stressful experience, especially when it comes to filing an insurance claim. Fortunately, we have a few tips to help you through the process. Step 1) Take a deep breath. Everything will be okay.
How to File a Homeowners Insurance Claim
- Review Your Coverage: Remember, flooding and water damage ARE NOT the same thing, and some homeowners insurance policies do not cover flood damage. However, don’t let a technicality keep you from calling and filing a claim. So locate the contact number for your insurance company’s claims office and start the process. You can sort everything else out after the fact, because just because you consider the damage to be flood damage does not mean your insurance company will see it the same way.
- Act Fast: You should immediately notify your insurance company of the situation and request that ServiceMaster of Baltimore be contacted. This will ensure that your home is treated as quickly and professionally as possible. Remember, water damage is a progressive issue. The longer standing water and moisture are left untreated, the greater the damage to your home.
- Be Clear and Concise: We know water damage can be a very emotional experience for a homeowner, but it is important to be clear and concise with your insurance agent. Let them know the facts and stick to the facts. And don’t admit guilt. The worst thing you can do is talk yourself out of coverage.
- Document Everything: In order to substantiate your claim, it is important to have evidence. In this case, the easiest way to do this is to take pictures and video. Hooray for smartphones! While we hope everything goes smoothly, it is nice to have photographic proof just in case something comes up.
- Remain Calm: Remember to breathe. As we have said already, everything will be okay.
Water Damage Restoration from ServiceMaster of Baltimore
At ServiceMaster of Baltimore, our goal is to restore your property as quickly as possible and with the least amount of inconvenience to you. This is why we have IICRC certified restoration technicians on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Perhaps best of all, we will work with you and your insurance company to help make this stressful experience a little less stressful.
Call 866-780 1700 for Emergency Restoration!
Hopefully you have found our blog, “Water Damage and Homeowners Insurance: What to Do,” informative and helpful. Continue to check back weekly for more helpful tips.