As we have said several times before, your sump pump is your last line of defense against flooding. If your sump pump fails during a storm, water damage could be in your future. In fact, sump pump overflow is one of the leading causes of basement flooding in the Baltimore area.
Prevent Sump Pump Overflow
As groundwater levels rise, it is diverted to the sump pit. When this water reaches the “critical level,” the sump pump is activated and water is diverted away from the home. When a sump pump fails, this water continues to rise until it reaches the basement floor level, flooding your home.
Like anything, your sump pump requires regular maintenance, including:
- Ensure the sump pit is Free from Debris. Often, items stored around the pit can fall in and hinder the float mechanism. When this happens, your sump pump may fail to spring into action.
- Test the Float. To do this, fill the pit with water and make sure the pump both starts and stops as it should.
- Sometimes, Check Valves are installed improperly. These valves ensure that when the pump is not running, water does not find its way back into the sump pump.
- If the sump pump has stopped suddenly or has started making a whining noise, it may be because the Impeller has become clogged. If this is the case, clean the impeller.
- If you notice an oily residue on the surface of the water, check your Oil Seal. A faulty oil seal may cause the motor to burn out.
- Remember, your sump pump runs on electricity. Because of this it is a good idea to have a Backup Generator. After all, power outages and severe storms go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Water Damage Restoration in Baltimore
If your sump pump still fails, leaving you ankle deep in water, pick up the phone and call ServiceMaster of Baltimore as soon as possible. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and promise to have a technician at your home within hours of your initial call.
We will arrive quickly; immediately begin cleaning, sanitizing and deodorizing the affected areas; clean your belongings and if required, safely store them in our climate controlled pack-out facilities; and professionally prepare your home or business for reoccupation.
Hopefully you have found our blog, “Prevent Sump Pump Overflow with ServiceMaster of Baltimore” informative and helpful. Continue to check back weekly for more helpful home improvement tips.