Even if you live in an area of Baltimore with a “low risk” of flooding, there is still a risk. Flood damage is one of the most common hazards in the United States. It is important to be aware of these hazards. Remember, flooding risk isn’t based on history; it’s based on several factors including:
- Flood-control measures
- Tidal- Surge data
- Changes due to new construction and development
Floods can happen at any time and sometimes without warning. It is important to be prepared and know what to do in the event your Baltimore home is struck by flood damage. Ready.gov recommends the following measures:
- Build a flood emergency kit.
- Make a family communication plan.
- Elevate the furnace, water heater, and electrical panel, especially if you live in an area that has a high flood damage risk.
- Install “check valves” to prevent flood waters from backing up into drains.
- Use local alerts to get information and advice as available.
- Stay away from flood damaged areas of your home and avoid floodwaters, which may contain contaminates such as oil, gasoline, and even raw sewage.
- Know who to call.
Need a Flood Damage Specialist? Call ServiceMaster of Baltimore
At ServiceMaster of Baltimore, we handle flood damage with the utmost care, speed, and effectiveness. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. And with over 57 years of experience in the flood damage restoration business, we are the clear choice for the job.
Hopefully you have found our blog, “Need a Flood Damage Specialist? Call ServiceMaster of Baltimore,” informative and helpful. Continue to check back weekly for more helpful home improvement tips.