Skip Navigation

24/7 Emergency Service ‐ Call Now!

¡Se habla español

We at ServiceMaster of Baltimore would like to share information to help you enhance preventive protocols for your office.

We also want you to know that we are qualified and equipped with the required protocols and can perform precautionary and post exposure cleaning for the COVID-19 Virus. Please call us if we can be of service.

Is Black Mold Making You Sick?

baltimore mold restorationIt’s not unusual to feel sick during the winter months. But what if what you think is the common cold, are actually symptoms of being exposed to black mold? It can be hard to determine whether or not black mold is making you sick, especially for those who have allergies. And sometimes, the signs aren’t as obvious as you may think.

 

What Is Black Mold?

Mold is known as being a fungus that consists of small organisms. It can be found just about anywhere, including inside or outside. However it’s especially dangerous when found inside because of how quickly it can spread. Mold spores are quickly and easily released into the air. 

Symptoms Of Black Mold Exposure

When we are exposed to mold in outdoor environments, it is considered to be a low exposure. However, mold grows quickly in damp places inside the home, such as in basements and bathrooms. If this is not addressed, it could make you sick. Those with respiratory concerns, infants and children, and the elderly are considered to be most at risk from this exposure.

If you think you may be sick from mold, you might be experiencing common allergy symptoms, such as itchy eyes, nose, and throat, as well as watery and puffy eyes. Mold exposure symptoms that may make you think you have the common cold are coughing, sneezing, post-nasal drip, and a runny nose. If you have asthma, you could experience trouble breathing and wheezing. Additionally, headaches and brain fog could be signs that black mold is making you sick.

How Do I Know If Black Mold Is In My House?

Unfortunately, just because you might not see any mold, doesn’t mean it’s not there. Aside from experiencing the symptoms above, you might have mold if you smell a damp or musty odor in your home, you recently experienced a flood or leak, or if you tried to remove mold yourself and possibly didn’t remove all of it or did so properly. If you’re feeling sick and notice that when you are away from your home that your symptoms subside, it may be a sign you have mold inside your house.

Getting Rid Of Mold In Your House

If you think that black mold is making you sick, you’ll need to find the source and remove it as soon as possible. Depending on the source of the mold and the severity of it, you may be able to remove it yourself, assuming you can find it. However, if you’re feeling sick from being exposed to the mold, it’s best to call a professional to ensure it is not only removed in its entirety, but also done so safely.

Long-term effects of mold can be detrimental to your health. ServiceMaster of Baltimore’s trained technicians, as well as our updated techniques and equipment, can remove the mold that’s making you and your family sick and help to restore your home. Call us today at 410-780-1700.

 

This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 28th, 2021 at 11:31 am. Both comments and pings are currently closed.