24/7 Emergency Service - Call Now!
866-780-1700
¡Se habla español

How To Avoid Microwave Fires

If you’re looking for a quick answer on how to avoid microwave fires, the blatantly obvious solution is to not use a microwave. But microwaves have become a staple to every modern kitchen in America. In fact, for many young Americans, the microwave provides the first taste of adulthood. For budget-savvy Americans, the microwave provides the quick, easy, and inexpensive option for reheating leftovers or making a last-minute meal. Needless to say, eliminating microwaves is not a viable option. So how can you protect yourself, your family, and your home from microwave fires? Read ServiceMaster of Baltimore’s tips on microwave safety below.

 

Avoid Microwaving Take-Out Containers

Chinese food is delicious, but sometimes you just can’t eat it all. Never reheat your leftovers in the take-out containers as they typically have a metal handle which can start a fire. In fact, you should never be using your take-home container for anything but. Styrofoam containers are not airtight. It’s suggested all left-overs be transferred to a sealable container or wrap to keep germs away. But Styrofoam is actually a type of plastic so it should never be microwaved. Metals and plastics are not recommended for microwaves.

 

Only Microwave Cracked Eggs

The craze for microwaving eggs is just beginning. But microwaving eggs could start a microwave fire at your home or your office if not done properly. The safest way to microwave eggs is by cracking them before heating them. Avoid attempting to hard boil your egg, especially without the use of water. Microwaves come in a variety of heat settings, so it’s best to eat your eggs scrambled to avoid a microwave fire and to ensure the eggs are cooked thoroughly.

 

Never Use It While Empty

Although this is almost never intentional, using a microwave with nothing inside can be very dangerous. Something needs to be present to absorb the energy being output by the microwave. If it’s empty, the microwave will absorb its own energy, causing it to self-destruct, blow up, and/or burst into flames. Never use the microwave empty as an easy timer or you may cause a house fire.

 

Only Use A Dryer For Your Clothes

Some people have attempted to dry their wet clothes by putting them in the microwave. Never do this! Most clothes are made from cotton and it cotton is extremely flammable. A microwave should never be a substitute for a dyer.

 

Read The Manufacturer’s Guide Before Use

If you just bought a microwave, make sure you read about the safety and operating procedures before use! As all microwaves are made differently, it’s important to learn the settings of your microwave. Not only will this help you avoid a microwave fire or house fire, it can help you from over or under cooking your meals.

 

Call ServiceMaster of Baltimore Following A Fire Emergency

ServiceMaster of Baltimore has over 60 years of experience restoring people’s homes and businesses with cleanup services. We also offer services such as reconstruction, drying, cleaning, and returning your property to its pre-loss condition. Our experts will guide you through every step of the process in as painless a manner as possible. We will offer seamless, peace of mind service from start to finish with complete project management.

 

Tags: , , , ,

866-780-1700

Serving the following Maryland areas:

Baltimore County
Baltimore City
Howard County
Harford County
Carroll County
Anne Arundel County
Frederick County
Laurel
Cecil County
Unfortunately disasters happen, and often times we are ill prepared. Rest assured that ServiceMaster of Baltimore is available 24/7/365 to provide certified, licensed restoration professionals onsite within hours of your initial call. No job is too big or too small. ServiceMaster of Baltimore has expertise and knowledge of the most innovative solutions in the industry. Our IICRC accredited field managers are specialists in water mitigation, fire restoration and clean-up, mold abatement and pack-out services. We are Marylands most trusted name in cleaning and restoration services because our team will do everything possible to reduce your loss and preserve your property.
6631 Quad Avenue
Baltimore
Maryland
21237-1229
USA