The human body can handle a lot of stress, but the respiratory system is very sensitive to allergens and irritants in the air. Mold is a common irritant found in homes, even when there are no obvious signs, and it can make you and your family sick.
Where Does Mold Come From?
Mold is everywhere, both indoors and outdoors, and can enter homes and buildings in many ways. Because it travels through the air as a spore, it can spread quickly through duct work, open windows and doors, and vents. It can also attach itself to clothing, shoes, and even pets and be tracked inside.
Once mold is inside, it can grow in places with excess moisture, such as places where leakages have occurred. Wood, paper, cardboard, drywall, upholstery, dust, and ceiling tiles are very supportive of mold growth when they become wet.
Is Mold Making You Sick?
Mold is always around us in the air, and most of the time this low exposure does not cause health problems. However, if mold grows in a damp environment and is not removed, it can spread rapidly and cause health problems in otherwise healthy people. Sometimes, mold grows in areas we cannot see, such as in insulation or drywall behind the walls or in an attic space.
Some symptoms of mold sickness or sensitivity include:
- Itchy eyes, nose, and throat
- Runny nose, sneezing, or post-nasal drip
- Watery or puffy eyes
- Dry skin
- People with asthma may experience difficulty breathing and wheezing
How to Get Rid of Mold in the Home
The only way to get rid of mold and end the allergy symptoms is by removing it and replacing items affected by mold. The first step in removing mold is to determine where it is growing and finding the underlying problem with excess moisture. Are there leaky pipes, a roof problem, or are humidity levels too high?
Once the source has been addressed, then the restoration process can begin. If your home has recently flooded and mold has begun growing in carpets, drywall, or upholstery, these items must be completely removed. The area must be properly cleaned to remove spores remaining in the area, as some people can react to dead mold spores.
When is it Time to Call A Professional for Mold Removal?
If mold has grown in areas you cannot see, or if it has affected the HVAC system in your home, it’s time to call a professional. Although mold can be cleaned with commercially-available products, once it spreads it is more difficult to remove.
Your family’s health is worth protecting, and Service Master of Baltimore has the right equipment and expertise to remove mold and restore your home. Call our 24/7 service line at 866-780-1700 or contact us online today to keep your home free of mold.