Most home fires are preventable. Although ServiceMaster of Baltimore is there for you if disaster strikes, we would rather help you prevent fire damage in the first place. Follow these 5 simple fire prevention tips so you can keep your home safe this spring.
1. Practice Your Fire Evacuation Plan
Have you ever thought about what you would do if a fire started while you are in your home? Do your kids know the quickest exit and what to do, and are pets accounted for? Over two-thirds of American families do not have a detailed fire escape plan, so take some time to think about what to do in case of fire in your home and practice the plan. It can save your family’s life.
2. Install and Inspect Smoke Alarms
Smoke alarms should be installed inside bedrooms and kitchens to alert building occupants of a fire. Rental properties are often required to have them in these areas. Modern smoke detectors are often hardwired into the electrical grid in the home and have battery backups which still need to be checked twice yearly. A good way to remember to inspect your smoke detector is to do it at the same time you switch the clocks for Daylight Saving Time.
3. Keep a Fire Extinguisher in Your Kitchen
Is your fire extinguisher accessible to you in case of a kitchen fire? Many homeowners keep a fire extinguisher under the sink, but if your stove is next to the sink, will you be able to safely access the fire extinguisher? Try to find a place where the extinguisher is easy to reach in case of a fire, but still close enough to quickly react.
4. Never Leave the Stove Unattended
If you’re guilty of walking away from a pan heating up on the stove, ServiceMaster of Baltimore would like to remind you that the number one cause of home fires is cooking. Leaving the stove unattended is a preventable risk of a cooking fire, especially with children in the home. It’s easy to get distracted by something else and forget that there is something on the stove, and the extra time it takes to react to an unattended stove can make a huge difference in the level of damage caused by a kitchen fire.
5. Use Appropriate Electrical Cords
Always use electrical cords that are rated for the appliance being used. For example, if your microwave cord doesn’t quite reach the outlet, make sure you’re using an extension cord designed for higher electrical loads. Standard extension cords are not designed to handle the higher heat created by appliances. Check the cords and outlets you’re using for your appliances to ensure you’re preventing an electrical fire.
ServiceMaster of Baltimore Fire Damage Restoration
ServiceMaster of Baltimore is a locally owned, family owned business that has served Baltimore and surrounding counties for more than 30 years. We specialize in emergency services and clean up due to water, fire, trauma, and biohazards. We operate 24/7/365 and can mobilize a team within hours to restore your home to its pre-loss condition. Call us at 410-780-1700 today for your restoration needs.